Re: [ANN] lisp/ob-tangle-sync.el

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [ANN] lisp/ob-tangle-sync.el
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 10:30:37 +0000

Mehmet Tekman <mtekman89@gmail.com> writes:

>> See the above 3 examples: (1) "foo.txt" shadowed by "no"; (2) "no"
>> shadowed by "foo.txt"; (3) "no" shadowed by "foo.txt" then shadowed by
>> "yes".
>>
>> You can also consider "foo.txt" shadowed by "bar.txt" and other
>> variations.
>
> I've created a small patch that contains a single ert test function that
> checks an example org file I made (based on the above as well as my own
> toy file) to try to validate the `org-babel-merge-params' rewrite.
>
> I've attached it below in case you want to test it...

Is the patch testing your code?

(Note on the ert tests: we generally prefer `org-test-with-temp-text' -
the old approach with test IDs is not very readable because one needs to
search those IDs manually when debugging test failures.)

> ...but there were a few cases where I wasn't entirely sure what the
> result of the merge was supposed to be:
>
> For example, a document with:
>
>> #+TITLE: Header tests
>> #+PROPERTY: header-args :tangle /tmp/default_tangle.txt
>>
>> * Inherit tangle header from document
>>
>> #+begin_src conf
>>   (:tangle . /tmp/default_tangle.txt)
>> #+end_src
>
> I would expect the output of:
>
>     (assoc :tangle (nth 2 (org-babel-get-src-block-info)))
>
> within that block to evaluate to the contents written in that
> block. Instead it evaluates to `(:tangle . no)' when run in a vanilla
> Emacs. Is this expected?

You forgot C-c C-c on the PROPERTY line, or re-opening the file.
#+PROPERTY lines are not automatically parsed when you add them. They
are only parsed upon explicit request (C-c C-c) or when opening the
file.

> Another example:
>
>> * Header args overwritten by local header
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :header-args: :tangle "foo.txt"
>> :END:
>> #+begin_src :tangle yes
>>    (:tangle . foo.txt)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> ** Inherited header
>>
>> #+begin_src :tangle "file with spaces.txt"
>>   (:tangle . "file with spaces.txt")
>> #+end_src
>
> The first block correctly gives "foo.txt" under vanilla Emacs, but the
> second block also gives "foo.txt". Is this expected behaviour?

You forgot to specify the source block languages. Org sees your example
as two src blocks of language ":tangle" with no proper header arguments.
(See M-x org-lint)

If you add a language, like
 #+begin_src conf :tangle yes
    (:tangle . foo.txt)
 #+end_src

The expected result is (:tangle . "yes") for the first block and
(:tangle . "file with spaces.txt") for the second block.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,