Possible File Saving Bug with [/]?

From: Summer Emacs
Subject: Possible File Saving Bug with [/]?
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 16:42:41 +0200

Hi!

I’m not sure if this is a bug or not, but after hunting down the problem for an
hour (and finding it), I felt that I needed to report this just in case.

I have a .org file which is just a list of Emacs commands I like to keep handy
to refer to (navigation, selection, commands in some modes etc…) One of these
had help about the [/] command for a header for a list. However, because I had
[/] and no numbers in it (it was just an example to show me how to do it if I
forgot), it kept saving a backup copy of that file anytime that I saved it, and
kept that backup “alive” to track. The name of the regular file is
emacshelp.org, and the file it kept creating in my directory was
.#emacshelp.org#  ->
summer@summer.localhost.randomnumberhere:randomportnumberhere

This was intensely annoying because anytime that I did a Magit stage and
commit, it would keep asking me if I wanted to save the file - every time I
would input a command in Magit for every stage/commit etc…

Just adding = = around the [/] removed this behaviour.

Again: Since it took me an hour to figure out, as was frustrating as hell, to
find the “bug" (I don’t know how you programmers do this for a living…), I
figured I’d report it.

I’m running Emacs on a MacBook Pro (M series). I doubt it has something to do
with the OS, but please ask if you need more info.

I’m sorry to spam everyone if this is already a known behaviour.
Emacs Version: d12frosted’s emacs plus, 30.0.50
Org version: 9.6.7

Thanks!

Summer Emacs