Re: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 13:52:33 +0000

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> You might as well use [[Link]].
>
> For context, I use '#+OPTIONS: num:nil', which means that '[[link]]'
> exports as 'link' and not a section number.

I am confused. num:nil just means that section titles will not be
numbered. It has nothing to do with links, AFAIK.

> ... I thought about using
> '[[Link]]' as you suggest, but it would make almost all sentences I
> write ungrammatical.  For comparison, consider:
>
> Properly capitalized:
>
>   The set of cellular membrane-bound organelles inside of the eukaryotic
>   cell that work together on the synthesis and distribution of proteins
>   and lipids.
>
> Sentence-capitalized to make Org find the respective headings:
>
>   The set of Cellular membrane-bound Organelles inside of the Eukaryotic
>   cell that work together on the synthesis and distribution of Proteins
>   and Lipids.

What about [[Link][link]]? Check out how we do it in
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.org (rendered as
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.html).

>> As for case sensitivity, it is something we might discuss. I just
>> outlined the current state of the Org code.
>
> Thank you for outlining the current state.  I asked about it because I
> have been struggling with this problem for a long time, and I was not
> sure whether Org can or cannot do it, particularly given the fact that
> my use of literal links is as simple as it gets.
>
> If someone could fix this problem, say by adding link case-insensitivity
> to '#+OPTIONS', I am willing to sponsor it financially, as the current
> behavior is my biggest problem with the Org mode.

Judging from your example, I am not sure if it is an actual problem with
Org mode. I am still to see a use case when case-insensitivity would be
useful. Now, I am inclined to fix the docstring (and possibly the
manual), clarifying about case-sensitivity of the internal links.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,