Re: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 09:01:46 +0000

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

>> What about [[Link][link]]?
>
> That makes Org documents hard to read in *plain text*, that is without
> the "descriptive links" fontification.  Here is my note again, compare:
>
> EXAMPLE 1: Hard-to-read, unhelpful markup:
>
>   The set of [[Cellular membrane][cellular membrane]]-bound
>   [[Organelle][organelle]]s inside of the [[Eukaryotic cell][eukaryotic
>   cell]] that work together on the synthesis and distribution of
>   [[Protein][protein]]s and [[Lipid][lipid]]s.
>
> EXAMPLE 2: Lightweight, helpful markup:
>
>   The set of [[cellular membrane]]-bound [[organelle]]s inside of the
>   [[eukaryotic cell]] that work together on the synthesis and
>   distribution of [[protein]]s and [[lipid]]s.

Note that there is generally no guarantee that [[name]] link will be
exported as "name" by any particular backend. Your workaround with
num:nil is just a workaround that may or may not work in future.

>> Judging from your example, I am not sure if it is an actual problem
>> with Org mode. I am still to see a use case when case-insensitivity
>> would be useful. Now, I am inclined to fix the docstring (and possibly
>> the manual), clarifying about case-sensitivity of the internal links.
>
> For me, this is not only "an actual problem with Org" but the biggest
> problem, and the only big problem, I have with Org.
>
> As a markup language, Org is "99% there" in having some of the *most
> practical* plain text [[link]]s available, but then falls short on case
> sensitivity, ending up with the exact opposite.
>
> Now, I could use descriptive links, which hide the [[Wart][wart]] behind
> fontification tricks, but that would not solve my problem.  Why?  I need
> to use other plain text tools, such as Git, with my densely linked Org
> documents.

I can see how this can be helpful in certain scenarios.
I made headline and radio target link matching case-insensitive on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=ed42dc34a
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=ec2399330

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,