Re: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:49:54 +0000

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Note that there is generally no guarantee that [[name]] link will be
>> exported as "name" by any particular backend. Your workaround with
>> num:nil is just a workaround that may or may not work in future.
>
> I did not know this is considered a workaround!  I have always thought
> this is how Org is specified to work (as in tests).

Tests only cover (some) built-in backends. And they do not always test
documented features. AFAIK, text used when exporting fuzzy links without
description is not something we document. Individual backends are not
constrained to follow any specific convention in such scenario, although
built-in backends generally handle certain things similarly (often,
because they are used as a template for each other).

> One more question before I declare a full victory: I want my notebook to
> show literal links by default, but the following does not seem to work:
>
> # -*- fill-column: 79; org-link-descriptive: nil -*-
>
> The line seems to confuse Org in that not only it shows descriptive
> links but the first call to 'org-toggle-link-display' does nothing.

It does nothing because it is one of the options that must be set before
Org mode is loaded. Resolving buffer-local variables happens after the
major mode is loaded.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,