Re: [BUG] Re: The orgframe construct in the Beamer exporter as a default

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
Subject: Re: [BUG] Re: The orgframe construct in the Beamer exporter as a default needs a rethink
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 08:16:12 +0100

Hi Leo,

I really don't have anything to object to the original patch. I support the need to circumvent the "\begin-or-end{frame} inside frame" problem and using orgframe is a clean way of doing so.
My only concern is the _default_ value for `org-beamer-frame-environment'.
If we set it to "frame", we only need to customise it in the file local variables in files where it needs to be changed and we catch all flies in a stroke:

Situation 1: presentation has no "\begin-or-end{frame} inside frame" -> no extra stuff in file local variables AND newenvironment is not generated AND frames are between \begin{frame} and \end{frame}
Situation 2: presentation needs to circumvent "\begin-or-end{frame} inside frame" -> set local variable in file AND newenvironment is generated AND frame is changed where it is strictly necessary,

Cheers, /PA

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 at 21:32, Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 12 2024, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Jup, of course. If you look in org-lint.el, one of the cases that would
>> trigger a message is when the frame environment uses "frame" directly and
>> there is a \begin{frame} in the org.
>> Line 1522 onwards in org-lint.el
>
> (1)
> Sure, but we should not demand users to run org-lint. Ideally, exporting
> any valid Org file should work.
> The fact that the presence of \begin{frame} breaks beamer is a technical
> detail users should better not be bothered with. That's why we added the
> orgframe construct.
>
> (2)
> On the other hand, it is clear that Org mode users are unwilling to
> tolerate too much of machine generated latex output. So, going further
> and trying to generate unique orgframe environments might not be ideal.
>
> The current approach is a balance between the above considerations.
>
> AFAIU, what you propose is reverting the orgframe code; that goes
> against the first point.

Current git HEAD allows a user like Pedro to effectively turn off the
orgframe code via

(setq org-beamer-frame-environment "frame")

or an equivalent.

> What I proposed is to reduce the amount of machine-generated code by
> using `org-beamer-frame-environment' only when strictly necessary.

Attached is a patch that limits the use of
`org-beamer-frame-environment' to those frames that contain either
\begin{frame} or \end{frame} in their body.

This has the nice side-effect that one can include example frames
generated by Org without causing an error (previously, Org exported
latex that would not compile). See the attachments.

Leo

--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet