Re: [freesci-develop] Release Candidate 2: Please test

From: Robert Wenner
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Release Candidate 2: Please test
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:40:46 -0600

On Friday 22 February 2008 15:33, Christoph Reichenbach wrote:
http://www-plan.cs.colorado.edu/creichen/freesci/freesci-0.6.3-rc2.tar.gz

>   This one includes a couple of bug fixes, and, most importantly, a
> number of build fixes.  Any testing to ensure that it builds and
> starts up would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the late email...

I am on SuSE Linux 10.1:
address@hidden:~> uname -a
Linux tiamat 2.6.17.6-rw #6 Thu Aug 3 01:20:32 CDT 2006 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

freesci builds, but there are some warnings, mostly about comparisons
being always true or false due to limited range of data types involved.
(Do you want the compiler output?)
make check seemed to run only one test, is that ok?

I tried running some games, and here's the results:

Quest for Glory 2:

Sometimes freezes when I try to import my saved character from part 1.

address@hidden:~/spiele/qg2> freesci
FreeSCI 0.6.3-rc2a Copyright (C) 1999-2007
 Dmitry Jemerov, Christopher T. Lansdown, Sergey Lapin, Rickard Lind,
 Carl Muckenhoupt, Christoph Reichenbach, Magnus Reftel, Lars Skovlund,
 Rink Springer, Petr Vyhnak, Solomon Peachy, Matt Hargett, Alex Angas
 Walter van Niftrik, Rainer Canavan, Ruediger Hanke, Hugues Valois
This program is free software. You can copy and/or modify it freely
according to the terms of the GNU general public license, v2.0
or any later version, at your option.
It comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
[conf] Warning: Could not open configuration file
'/home/robert/.freesci/config'
No configuration file found; using defaults.
Detecting interpreter and resource versions...
Scanning 'install.exe' with decompressor 'lzexe'
Scanning 'sciv.exe' with decompressor 'lzexe'
Interpreter version: 1.000.072 (by executable scan)
FIXME: Implement version mapping (results of executable scan ignored)
Interpreter version: 1.000.072 (by hash code 4447B28D)
Game identified as 'Trial v1.105'
Using interpreter version 1.000.072
Resmgr: Detected SCI01
Patching "script.805": OK
FreeSCI, version 0.6.3-rc2a
Warning: Kernel function ShiftScreen[6e] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function MemorySegment[70] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function Intersections[71] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function ListOps[73] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function DoSync[76] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function ATan[79] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function [Unknown][7a] unmapped
Handled 116/123 kernel functions, mapping 110 and ignoring 6.
Initializing vocabulary
SCI0: Could not find a main vocabulary, trying SCI01.
Warning: Could not map 'cantBeHere' to any selector!
Warning: Could not map 'flags' to any selector!
Engine initialized
 "Trial" at 0001:1bb0
Initializing directories...
Using the MIT-SHM extension (2/2)
Checking for X11 RENDER extension: found.
Initializing graphics
[SFX] Initialised timer 'alsa-pcm-timer', v0.1
Underrun by 512 frames at 0
Underrun by 512 frames at 0
 ---> 16384/44100/44100/4 = 32770
 ---> --> 131080 for 0x81f4878 at 0xb7942008
[SFX] Using song player 'polled', v0.1
Emulating SCI version 1.000.072
Graphics: Using the xlib driver 0.6a
 Calling Trial::play()
Underrun by 512 frames at 0
FSCI: kNOP: Warning (kernel.c L737): Warning: Kernel function 0x7a
invoked: unmapped
FSCI: kNOP: Warning (kernel.c L737): Warning: Kernel function 0x7a
invoked: unmapped
FSCI: kNOP: Warning (kernel.c L737): Warning: Kernel function 0x7a
invoked: unmapped
Initializing song number 10
Initializing song number 10
Initializing song number 10
FIXME: Implement volume
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Initializing song number 770
Overwriting old song (000107d0) ...
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 19 on channel 1
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 25 on channel 2
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 35 on channel 4
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 8 on channel 5
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 0 on channel 6
[iterator-1] DEBUG: Initialising for 0
[song-iterator] Song finished. mask = 0c1f, cm=8076
[song-iterator] Song finished. mask = 0c1f, cm=0000
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
Underrun by 3 frames at 44100
Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
Underrun by 2 frames at 44100
Activating port 4 after disposing window 5
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Underrun by 6 frames at 44100
Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
Underrun by 2 frames at 44100
<more underruns here...>
Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Initializing song number 770
Overwriting old song (000107d0) ...
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 19 on channel 1
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 25 on channel 2
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 35 on channel 4
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 8 on channel 5
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 0 on channel 6
[SFX-BUF] audiobuf.c: Timestamp delta 34 at 44100: Filling in as silence
frames
[iterator-1] DEBUG: Initialising for 0
Underrun by 3 frames at 44100
<more underruns here...>
Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
Looping song iterator 000107d0.
Looping song iterator 000107d0.
Underrun by 2 frames at 44100
Underrun by 2 frames at 44100
[VM] Attempt to use invalid param variable 0001 (out of range [0..0]) in
vm.c, line 1414
Underrun by 7 frames at 44100
Underrun by 6 frames at 44100
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Underrun by 21 frames at 44100
[...]
Send to invalid selector 0x20 of object at 002b:02f2
acc=002b:02f2 prev=0000:0001 &rest=0
pc=002d:0095 obj=002b:02f2 fp=ST:0095 sp=ST:0095
Step #1584783
0095: 8d 08          lst 08
Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
<more underruns here...>

At this point the game froze but more underruns happened.
I didn't have the glory1.sav copied to the right directory, so the freeze
is not related a broken save file.

I started over and copied my correct glory1.sav to ~/.freesci/Trial/
and tried to load it.

First, it doesn't load the file.
When it asked me if I want to try importing again and I click Yes, it
dumps me to a console, with the game window is frozen:

[...]
 ---> --> 131080 for 0x81f4878 at 0xb78a8008
[...]
Send to invalid selector 0x125 of object at 002b:02f2
acc=002b:02f2 prev=0000:0098 &rest=0
pc=002b:0178 obj=002b:020c fp=ST:0023 sp=ST:008d
Step #486509
0178: 4a 04          send 04
  savedHeros::nFiles[INVALID]()

When starting a new game with a new hero, QG2 seems to work fine.

Larry 3

Seems to work fine, but I get a lot of warnings on the console:

FSCI: kNOP: Warning (kernel.c L737): Warning: Kernel function 0x71
invoked: unmapped

SQ3:
Seg faults during intro before the glass slides away from Roger's face.
Here is the last messages on the shell.
The core dump is at http://de.geocities.com/robertwenner/core-sq3.zip

Overwriting old song (000100d2) ...
[play] Now stopping it (nil)
ADLIB: Selecting instrument 7 on channel 2
[song-iterator] Song finished. mask = 0c1f, cm=ffff
[song-iterator] Song finished. mask = 0c1f, cm=0000
[song-iterator] Song finished. mask = 001f, cm=ffff
[play] Now stopping it (nil)
Initializing song number 65
[play] Now stopping it (nil)
 ---> 16384/11000/44100/1 = 16386
 ---> --> 16386 for 0x81e95a8 at 0x82637c8
[song-iterator] Song finished. mask = 0c1f, cm=ffff
[song-iterator] Song finished. mask = 0c1f, cm=0000
[SFX-BUF] audiobuf.c: Timestamp delta 81 at 44100: Filling in as silence
frames
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

PQ2:

In the intro, a blond guy chases another guy to a street lamp. (Shouldn't
they run further?)
That blond guy (and his shadow) are still in the next intro screen with
the night skyline.
Doesn't look like that's correct...

PQ3:

When the officer in the introduction speaks, the text is cut off on the
right (probably too wide for the screen).

I didn't play any further in the Police Quests because I first need to
find the manuals to get beyond the code checks.

SQ4:

Leaves me with a black game window and a console prompt:

address@hidden:~/spiele/sq4> freesci
FreeSCI 0.6.3-rc2a Copyright (C) 1999-2007
 Dmitry Jemerov, Christopher T. Lansdown, Sergey Lapin, Rickard Lind,
 Carl Muckenhoupt, Christoph Reichenbach, Magnus Reftel, Lars Skovlund,
 Rink Springer, Petr Vyhnak, Solomon Peachy, Matt Hargett, Alex Angas
 Walter van Niftrik, Rainer Canavan, Ruediger Hanke, Hugues Valois
This program is free software. You can copy and/or modify it freely
according to the terms of the GNU general public license, v2.0
or any later version, at your option.
It comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
[conf] Warning: Could not open configuration file
'/home/robert/.freesci/config'
No configuration file found; using defaults.
Detecting interpreter and resource versions...
Scanning 'SCIDHUV.EXE' with decompressor 'raw'
Interpreter version: 1.000.753 (by executable scan)
FIXME: Implement version mapping (results of executable scan ignored)
Could not identify game by hash code: 123486FA
Resmgr: Detected KQ5 or similar
FreeSCI, version 0.6.3-rc2a
Warning: Kernel function ShiftScreen[6e] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function MemorySegment[70] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function Intersections[71] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function ListOps[73] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function DoSync[76] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function ATan[79] unmapped
Warning: Kernel function [Unknown][7a] unmapped
Handled 116/123 kernel functions, mapping 110 and ignoring 6.
Initializing vocabulary
Assuming that this game does not use a parser.
Warning: Could not map 'cantBeHere' to any selector!
Engine initialized
 "sq4" at 0001:0d88
Initializing directories...
Using the MIT-SHM extension (2/2)
Checking for X11 RENDER extension: found.
Initializing graphics
[SFX] Initialised timer 'alsa-pcm-timer', v0.1
Underrun by 512 frames at 0
Underrun by 512 frames at 0
 ---> 16384/44100/44100/4 = 32770
Underrun by 512 frames at 0
(Underrun message repeated a couple of times)
Underrun by 512 frames at 0
 ---> --> 131080 for 0x81df308 at 0xb7865008
[SFX] Using song player 'polled', v0.1
Emulating SCI version 0.000.685
Graphics: Using the xlib driver 0.6a
 Calling sq4::play()
Underrun by 512 frames at 0
Script error in file [SLC-LU] vm.c, line 1709: Attempt to send to
non-object or invalid script
Address was 0010:03f9
Send to invalid selector 0x6e of object at 0010:03f9
acc=0010:03f9 prev=0000:0010 &rest=0
pc=0010:03ef obj=0001:0d88 fp=ST:000e sp=ST:0010
Step #267
03ef: 4a 04          send 04
  <no such object>::add[Script error in file [SLC-LU] vm.c, line 1709:
Attempt to send to non-object or invalid script
Address was 0010:03f9
INVALID]()

KQ4:

Intro is fine.

Sometimes in scenes like Rosella cleaning up the dwarves' house, it seems
the game hogs all the processor resources (admittedly, this is an old
machine). The game briefly freezes and the console has lots of these
messages:
Looping song iterator 00230014.
and sometimes
Looping song iterator 001a0014.

It crashed when changing screens, the core dump is at
http://de.geocities.com/robertwenner/core-kq4.zip

Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Looking up song handle 0009012a failed in core.c, L778
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
[song-iterator] Song finished. mask = 0c1f, cm=ffff
[song-iterator] Song finished. mask = 0c1f, cm=0000
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Looking up song handle 0009012a failed in core.c, L778
Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Let me know if you want me to try other builds or need more information.

Robert