Re: [freesci-develop] Release Candidate 2: Please test

From: Robert Wenner
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Release Candidate 2: Please test
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:47:55 -0600

On Sunday 24 February 2008 17:17, Christoph Reichenbach wrote:
>   That's a very substantial amount of testing; thank you very much!

Errr... I just poked at it a little, that's not too substantial...

> Can you submit a bug report to our bugzilla (freesci.org, then go to
> `Bug Tracker') and attach your saved character, please?  That way we
> can try to reproduce the problem.

Done.

> > At this point the game froze but more underruns happened.
>
>   I'll have to look into these underruns in more detail at one point.
> Did you have audio problems (cracking noises, gaps in the music)?

No, the music played fine.
At least as far as I could tell. Hard to say if you don't know what it's
supposed to sound like.

>   That's our internal debugger.  We'll have to attempt to reproduce
> this problem ourselves to figure out exactly what is going wrong,
> because these games can be rather complex internally :-)

Yes, I figured it would be some kind of debugger, but I also assumed I was
not supposed to be dropped into it. :-)

>   Your core file does not appear to include debug symbols (or
> otherwise by gdb is confused).  Could you try re-running this, and
> this time run with 0.6.3 compiled via
>
>   CFLAGS="-g -O0" ./configure && make

Ok, I did
        make clean distclean
and then compiled with -g -O0.

I cannot reproduce it every time.
The first time the intro played fine.
The second time I got the seg fault but had forgotten to do the ulimit -c
unlimited before. :-(
It then worked quite a couple of times.
In fact, I had to run it over and over and over to get a seg fault.

This may be related to the brief speech output in the intro. I hear that
when it doesn't crash, but don't not when it does crash.
However, thats just a guess.

> > In the intro, a blond guy chases another guy to a street lamp.
> > (Shouldn't they run further?)
> > That blond guy (and his shadow) are still in the next intro screen
> > with the night skyline.
> > Doesn't look like that's correct...
>
>   This is the same as #2837, I think.

Yes, looks like it.

>   If possible and convenient, please try to reproduce this with 0.6.3
> built as described above, and feel free to e-mail the core files to me
> directly.

Done.

Here is how to reproduce the KingsQuest 4 crash:

Start the game, and walk to the right until you get to the screen where it
leads up to the mountains on the right.
Go north and it crashes.

Robert