Re: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI 0.6.4 rc3

From: Lars Skovlund
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI 0.6.4 rc3
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 22:18:21 +0200

Hi Robert!

You wrote:

> I still get crashes in SQ3.

I played SQ3 through recently, and I haven't seen any of them. But as
you note, these problems may have something to do with game speed.

> - During the intro
> - When lowering the grabber in the correct location to grab the reactor
> - When pressing keys during the intro to skip it and then hitting enter a
> couple of times in impatient anticipation of the text boxes when Roger
> jumps out of the pod (In case it matters: I played at speed 1.)

This one in particular, I have heard other people mention. But this is
the first time I see a concise description of how to reproduce it. I
haven't tried it yet, but thank you in any case.

> - when the elevator dumped me on the belt (at speed 5)
>
> In Quest for Glory 2, in the inventory, each time I click an item I get a
> small message box with useless contents: empty for the food rations,
> "alt" for the daggers, "blah" for the Thieves' tool kit, "Pouch of
> incense: You have in your posession a quantity of Fire elemental
> -attracting incense." for the Thieves' guild license, and "Compassion
> fruit: From the branches of Julanar, you have obtained The Fruit of
> Compassion", Looks like the item descriptions are messed up.

Might be related to the string problems. I know, we promised to fix
them for this version, but time hasn't permitted.

> Quest for Glory 2 freezes when I try to walk away from the astrologer at
> the lower right end of the map. I get this on the console. I saved the
> game right before leaving, so I don't know is that is related.
>
> Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
> Memtesting in savegame.c, L4417
> Memtest succeeded!
> Memtesting in savegame.c, L4422
> Memtest succeeded!
> Underrun by 4 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 2 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 2 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 2 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 5 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 2 frames at 44100
> Activating port 1 after disposing window 4
> Underrun by 2 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 1 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 3 frames at 44100
> [VM] Attempt to use invalid local variable 01ca (out of range [0..302]) in
> vm.c, line 1472
> [VM] Error: Attempt to add 1 to invalid pointer 0040:0000!acc=0000:0000
> prev=0000:00c9 &rest=0
> pc=0005:07ae obj=0030:0b34 fp=ST:0015 sp=ST:0018
> Step #34260342
> 0005:07ae: 02             add
> >Underrun by 27 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 4 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 4 frames at 44100

The savegame might be good to have here... but it looks like something
smashed the stack.

> I quit with Ctrl+C and restarted, reloading the game and leaving the area
> worked fine then.

Strange.

> Don't know when or how it happened, but after loading my save games, the
> box where I type my commands does not only have the text field for my
> input as in the beginning of the game but there is a line above that with
> a single asterisk.

This one I actually know about. It happens because QfG2 tries to
modify a static string. Since we don't persist those, the change is
lost across saves. Perhaps we'll fix this during the much-awaited
string work.

> I played a thief and put some points on magic. When I try to buy the
> Detect Magic spell in the magic shop, it tells me I don't have enough
> money. The spell is supposed to cost 10 ("ask about spell") and I have
> 104 dinars.

I saw that one as well, and wondered about it.

> Entering Aziza's place, I say hi. She replies with something like "it's
> good to have visitors that know how to be polite" and then teleports me
> out and her voice says "i do not welcome those who are rude in my house".
> That does not seem to fit together.

I haven't seen that. Maybe the parser is a bit sensitive (and I have
concrete plans for some parser work in the next version). Are there
any messages on the console?

> All core dumps are at http://de.geocities.com/robertwenner/cores.zip
> Let me know if you need anything else (like Glory2 save games).
>
> Robert

Again, thank you for this very thorough test. We really appreciate it!

Lars