Re: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI 0.6.4 rc3

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI 0.6.4 rc3
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 12:41:10 -0600

Robert,

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 11:09:56PM -0500, Robert Wenner wrote:
> Later I got a crash with core dump during casting fire darts in a fight
> against a terror saurus in the desert.

  Could not reproduce.

> Tried to escape another combat with a terror saurus. After typing "escape"
> I could not move, and the saurus ran around uncoordinated, even walking
> all up to the sky, leaving the picture and waling back in. I could not
> type commands. I tried to restore a game and got a core dump with a
> Trace/breakpoint trap.

  There may be some issue in pathfinding; I recall seeing the error
message

[avoidpath] Error: failed to remove edge from tree

  during testing (Walter, let me know if you want to reproduce this).
Robert, do you recall seeing any error messages along these lines?

> Don't know when or how it happened, but after loading my save games, the
> box where I type my commands does not only have the text field for my
> input as in the beginning of the game but there is a line above that with
> a single asterisk.

  Yes, I can confirm that.  Since this is a string issue, I propose
that we do not look into it until after the new string handling is in
place.

> I played a thief and put some points on magic. When I try to buy the
> Detect Magic spell in the magic shop, it tells me I don't have enough
> money. The spell is supposed to cost 10 ("ask about spell") and I have
> 104 dinars.

  Confirmed.  This is due to what appears to be a workaround in our VM
that handles a special case-- alas, this situation happens to trigger
that special case without being meant for it!

  Lars, we will need a different solution for this one.  The code in
question is

if (s->r_acc.segment == 0 &&
    s->r_acc.offset == 1000)
        s->r_acc = make_reg(0, r_temp.segment != 0); else
        /* normal handling */

  I believe that this was a hack that we introduced at one point as a
quick fix for distinguishing between `near' and `far' text... is that
correct?  If so, do you happen to recall the details behind this?

> Entering Aziza's place, I say hi. She replies with something like "it's
> good to have visitors that know how to be polite" and then teleports me
> out and her voice says "i do not welcome those who are rude in my house".
> That does not seem to fit together.

  Do you happen to have a savegame for getting into aziza's place?

  Again, thank you very much for your help!

-- Christoph