Re: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI 0.6.4 rc3

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI 0.6.4 rc3
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 05:21:41 -0600

Robert,

  first of all, thank you very much for your numerous and detailed bug
reports :-)

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 11:09:56PM -0500, Robert Wenner wrote:
> I still get crashes in SQ3.
[...]

  I cannot reproduce any of those, and your core dumps don't seem to
contain sufficient information to track the issues.  It's quite
possible that all the crashes are the same issue, though, so a single
core with debug information might provide all the data we need.

  Can you re-compile FreeSCI with debug flags enabled, please?  For
this, please run

CFLAGS='-g -O0' ./configure && make clean && make

  The resulting binary may be noticeably slower and thus less suitable
for playing games in general, but, as I mentioned, a single core dump
from this binary might reveal all that is needed to identify the bug.

> In Quest for Glory 2, in the inventory, each time I click an item I get a
> small message box with useless contents: empty for the food rations,
> "alt" for the daggers, "blah" for the Thieves' tool kit, "Pouch of
> incense: You have in your posession a quantity of Fire elemental
> -attracting incense." for the Thieves' guild license, and "Compassion
> fruit: From the branches of Julanar, you have obtained The Fruit of
> Compassion", Looks like the item descriptions are messed up.

  Tracing the pointers for a bit, it seems to me that this is the same
architectural issue that also prevents you from importing savegames.
We will have to change the way we handle strings in order to fix this
problem (that's one of the most urgent to-do items).

> Quest for Glory 2 freezes when I try to walk away from the astrologer at
> the lower right end of the map. I get this on the console. I saved the
> game right before leaving, so I don't know is that is related.
[...]
> [VM] Attempt to use invalid local variable 01ca (out of range [0..302]) in
> vm.c, line 1472
> [VM] Error: Attempt to add 1 to invalid pointer 0040:0000!acc=0000:0000
> prev=0000:00c9 &rest=0
> pc=0005:07ae obj=0030:0b34 fp=ST:0015 sp=ST:0018
> Step #34260342
> 0005:07ae: 02             add
> >Underrun by 27 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 4 frames at 44100
> Underrun by 4 frames at 44100
>
> I quit with Ctrl+C and restarted, reloading the game and leaving the area
> worked fine then.

  Very odd, particularly since it worked the first time around.  Until
we can reliably reproduce this somehow, I am afraid that there is
nothing I can do, though.

  I will get back to you on the other issues later today.

-- Christoph