Re: [Gnash-dev] GTK-AGG GUI

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] GTK-AGG GUI
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:37:54 +0200

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 06:30:05PM +0200, Hannes Mayr wrote:
> Hannes Mayr wrote:
> >strk wrote:
> >>
> >>IIRC some renderers needed the window to exist before they could be
> >>created. I think cairo is one of these.
> >
> >The window and the renderer are created in the same function, so this
> >shouldn't be a problem anymore.
>
> Ok, I take back my last statement... I found this nice comment in
> Player.cpp where Gui::Init is called:
>
>       // Initialize gui (we need argc/argv for this)
>       // note that this will also initialize the renderer
>       // which is *required* during movie loading
>       _gui->init(argc, &argv);
>
> Any comments on this if in the current code the renderer is still needed
> during movie loading? IIRC some time ago there was a discussion about
> render calls while parsing. Is this still up-to-date or were there some
> changes in the meantime?

Unfortunately this is still an issue.
We all hope Udo will help finally removing renderer calls during
parsing by using an on-display caching mechanism.
So far, the renderer is used to generate bitmap caches.

> If it's absolute necessary to have the renderer created before the
> parser starts it could be a solution to have an extra function to
> retrieve the movie size, so the renderer and the gui already know about
> the initial movie size.
>
> For example:
> get_movie_size(&width,&height)
> _gui->init(argc, &argv, width, height)
> load_movie()

This was the original implementation, but since we are usually getting
the movie from a stream, it was simpler to avoid calls to that
get_movie_info functions, which would have triggered a separate
stream creation (that often mean an additional tcp socket + a zlib
decompression)