Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] GTK-AGG GUI

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] GTK-AGG GUI
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:57:56 +0200

Hello strk,

s> Unfortunately this is still an issue.
s> We all hope Udo will help finally removing renderer calls during
s> parsing by using an on-display caching mechanism.
s> So far, the renderer is used to generate bitmap caches.

As said before this is not the way to go IMHO. At least the
create_bitmap_xxxx methods should be allowed to be called at parse
time because they are also required to translate bitmaps in a format
suitable for the renderer.

This *could* be done at play time but that would mean waste of memory
because the raw bitmap from the SWF file is kept in memory until it is
shown the first time. Even if the cached version (which is generated
in the moment it is required) *replaces* the original bitmap data we
still waste memory for sub-24 bpp modes.

I will analyze the problem as soon I have some time left for it. There
must be a different solution...

If it is just for the stage size we could split renderer
initialisation in two parts. First the renderer is initialized so that
at least the create_bitmap_xxx functions are available (before
parsing). Then, with an additional call the renderer is fully
initialized with the stage size (during/after parsing). Would this be
a solution?

I currently don't know the exact details of the problem...

Udo