gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] Sounds for login

From: Graziano
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] Sounds for login
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:21:50 +0200

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 22:22:43 +0100, Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:
Graziano wrote:
Just to know, am I the only one to hate hearing sound when you start up? Should we decide if we do want a sound at all before choosing which sound?

I usually turn it off too, because it's yet another resource consumer
and I mostly like/need quiet.

Me too.

On the other hand, I have been in situations where my monitor
remained black, but I could hear from the sounds that the rest of the
system worked fine and that I could log in. So it serves some
diagnostic purpose. It can also serve a marketing purpose by
contributing to the wow-effect (or at least an 'it works' effect) when
logging in.

That said, we should only include a login sound if we get something
good. Frankly, "real" astronomy sounds (e.g. pulsars) are boring. I'm
thinking more science fiction than science. E.g. something along the
lines of the intro to Babylon Zoo's Spaceman. For length the aim
should be around 3 seconds. Certainly not longer than 5 seconds.

I agree with the science fiction idea but I listened to the sound you proposed and found it a bit too "aggressive" to be a login sound IMHO.

We should find something more relaxing.

--
Graziano
http://arc.noblogs.org/