Re: ``Shut-up and Hack!"

From: Guillaume FORTAINE
Subject: Re: ``Shut-up and Hack!"
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 17:30:39 +0200

Daniel Martin wrote:
Hi,

I follow the L4-Hurd list and noticed your recent posts to the list and
heard about your posts to others. I'd like to make a suggestion if you
don't mind. - Do some hacking! Work on some of the stuff you're so
interested in, that way you'll get more of a feel for it. I think
otherwise you will simply drown in hype and buzzwords.

If micro-kernels and micro-kernel based kernel-replacements (such as the
Hurd) is the field you're interested in, then why do you hack on a
project like the Hurd on Mach? It may not be cutting edge (unless you
make it so!) but the Hurd-on-Mach is the official kernel of GNU, and you
would still be able to learn a lot I suspect. Alfred is always whinging
for people to work on GNUMach.

The other thing I would like to mention is that (judging from your
posts) you don't seem to have understood the purpose of the Hurd. The
Hurd exists to be the kernel of the GNU operating system. GNU already
exists and works very well (excluding the Hurd), so it is silly to talk
of rewriting all of GNU.

I hope this has been helpful. I truly believe that doing some hacking
would help you to understand things. If you do want to work on the Hurd
(on Mach), read the documentation available (though much of it is
outdated) and then get in contact with Alfred M. Szmidt, he should be
able to point you in the right direction. You can find him on IRC (as
ams, in #gnu and ##hurd on the FreeNode network), on mailing lists such
as gnu-system-discuss, or at address@hidden .

Regards,

Daniel.

Hello,

*Shut-up and hack* => this is why Hurd lost the battle to survive ....

Code and think after ... 23 years later ...

3 years minimum - 5 years maximum : here is a realistic project.

Well-defined goals and release plan. commercial interest, not only a silly geek's dream ...

How to do hacking without a language ? ( I'm not interested in C ... )

UNIX is so old ...

HURD is dead, forget it ... => There are not enough people on it ...

Linux shows its limits .... in term of security / maintainability ...

GNU / Richard Stallman, Linus Torvalds => Why have these men lost ? => Because they had not the strongest foundations ...

I want to initiate a new way of thinking ...

"I consider life itself instinct for growth, for continuance, for the accumulation of forces, for power: where the will to power is lacking, there is decline."

‘The Anti-Christ’, F. Nietzsche

Best Regards,

Guillaume FORTAINE