Layering in EROS/Coyotos

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Layering in EROS/Coyotos
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:33:37 -0500

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 12:48 +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> One thing that causes me problems in these discussions between you and
> me is that I often don't know if you are talking about just the kernel
> or also the user space system when refering to Coyotos.  The space
> bank in particular is logically outside the kernel and part of the
> user space operating system.  But there seem to be some complicated
> interactions between the kernel design and the way memory is organized
> in the space bank that I likely do not fully appreciate and which seem
> to conflate the issues.

This is a *really* good question, and one that I would like to make
clear in a journal paper that I need to work on. I started to compose an
email answer, and then realized that this should really go on the web as
a note somewhere. I will send a link to it in a few hours, but please
view this as a "live" document, since I hope to continue to improve it