Re: Translucent storage: design, pros, and cons

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Translucent storage: design, pros, and cons
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:07:26 -0500

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 12:48 +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> One thing that causes me problems in these discussions between you and
> me is that I often don't know if you are talking about just the kernel
> or also the user space system when refering to Coyotos.  The space
> bank in particular is logically outside the kernel and part of the
> user space operating system.  But there seem to be some complicated
> interactions between the kernel design and the way memory is organized
> in the space bank that I likely do not fully appreciate and which seem
> to conflate the issues.

At the page

        http://www.coyotos.org/docs/index.html

there is now a section "The System View", and a new paper draft entitled
"The EROS System Structure". This is a work in progress. It notably
hasn't dealt with any objects that any of us would normally want to
implement (yet), but this type of document needs to proceed bottom-up,
and this is as far as I have gotten. Hopefully, this will begin to
answer *some* of Marcus's questions (and perhaps those of others). If
nothing else, it may help to make some of them concrete.

A figure is *desperately* needed in Part II. I will make one.

As more progress is made, I will send out pings to this list.