Handing off... (was: Re: Translucent storage: design, pros, and cons)

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Handing off... (was: Re: Translucent storage: design, pros, and cons)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:01:02 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 09:48:35PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> That said, in this case, there is at this point nothing for me to
> "hand off" but an idea, or a dream, and ideas don't belong to
> individuals.

Well, but it's *your* dream, and nobody else really understands it but
you. While there seem to be a number of people who consider what they
know of it interesting enough to contribute to the discussion (and
possibly also the implementation once it gets going), there is no reason
to assume that they'd come up with anything similar if left to
themselfs.

Of course others can work on new Hurd designs independantly, but that
would be something very different.

> I am also a co-maintainer of the Hurd,

Well, only formally -- you haven't done any maintainer work (reviewing
patches etc.) on the Hurd for at least two years, or one and a half if
you count the failed Hurd/L4 attempt in... I don't think this is really
relevant to this discussion, though :-)

-antrik-