Re: hel-arabic.ly

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: hel-arabic.ly
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:04:11 +0100

hassan.elfatihi@free.fr writes:

> Good morning
> Before offering hel-arabic.ly, I tested it for 4 years,
> it worked with all versions of lilypond. I have the impression that
> individuals
> have sabotaged my work or they are going to sabotage it in the latest
> version of lilypond 2.25.13,

You need to stop using inflammatory language and accusations here.  If
you are incapable of doing so, your contribution is not suitable for
inclusion in LilyPond.  This is basic project hygiene.

That being said, the whole reason this is happening is because changes
in LilyPond elsewhere broke hel-arabic.el and people have made the
necessary changes to keep hel-arabic.ly working in newer versions of
LilyPond you never had any possibility to test hel-arabic.ly with.

Without useful regression tests contributed by you and without an active
user base offering feedback in a polite manner, their fixes may well
have been incomplete.

It is not the first time this has happened, it will not remain the last
time.  If we get this shitstorm every time LilyPond changes in a manner
where hel-arabic.ly is affected, there are two solutions: stopping to
develop LilyPond, or removing hel-arabic.ly and refusing to support it
in future.  As it only serves a limited user base, it isn't worth
sacrificing LilyPond's future for its sake.

> I know that lilypond depends on volunteers, of course.

Then consider the consequences of your behavior.  To other developers,
and to the future of hel-arabic.ly.