openexr-user

[Openexr-user] Compiling on Nvidia/Linux

From: John Coldrick
Subject: [Openexr-user] Compiling on Nvidia/Linux
Date: 23 Jan 2003 13:27:18 -0500

        Greetings to all - and a big thanks to all the folks at ILM that built
these tools, and to ILM itself for allowing it to be released...looking
very interesting...

        I'm trying to compile on the above platform(Redhat 7.3), with NVidia
drivers installed.  I've also installed fltk-1.1.2 - manually compiled.

        Everything compiles fine, except for the exrdisplay app.  If I just run
configure with no params, I get the following message showing up:

++++++++++++++++++
checking for FLTK with GL support... no
*** Could not run FLTK test program, checking why...
++++++++++++++++++

and eventually:

++++++++++++++++++
build exrdisplay FLTK application               no
++++++++++++++++++

I have fltk installed in /usr/local, and sending this info to configure
doesn't help - same thing.  Now, if I bypass the GL checking, and I
compile, I get the following error:

+++++++++++++++++
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfltk_gl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
+++++++++++++++++

I'm unaware of an fltk_gl library - I always thought GL stuff was
embedded in libfltk.a.  I cheated, linked a libfltk_gl.a to the
libfltk.a, and I got all kinds of X errors:

+++++++++++++++++
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a(glthread.o): In function `_glthread_InitTSD':
glthread.o(.text+0x1e): undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a(glthread.o): In function `_glthread_GetTSD':
glthread.o(.text+0x76): undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a(glthread.o): In function `_glthread_SetTSD':
glthread.o(.text+0xbf): undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [exrdisplay] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/people/jc/compile/OpenEXR-1.0.4/exrdisplay'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
*****************

        So I'm trying to narrow this down - does anyone think it has to do with
the NVidia detonator drivers being installed over Xfree?  What's odd is
that fltk seems fine - all the test programs work...

        Any thoughts?

        Cheers,

        J.C.

Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
address@hidden                                        M5V 1S4
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one
works.