qemu-devel

Single system binary & Dynamic machine model (KVM developers conference

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Single system binary & Dynamic machine model (KVM developers conference call 2022-12-13)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 00:41:59 +0100

Hi,

In the last years we had few discussions on "simplifying" QEMU (system emulation / virtualization), in particular for the "management layer".

Some of us are interested in having QEMU able to dynamically create
machine models. Mark Burton's current approach is via a Python script
which generates QMP commands. This is just another case of "management
layer".

Various problems have been raised regarding the current limitations of
QEMU's APIs. We'd like to remember / get a broader idea on these limits
and look at some ideas / proposals which have been discussed / posted
on this list.

Feel free to complete your thoughts on this public etherpad:
https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/qemu-emulation-bof%402022-12-13

Topic I remember which can be good starters:

- Current limitations of QAPI (& QMP) model (Markus Armbruster)

- Adding a new qemu-runtime-$TARGET / QMP-only binary without today's
  limitations (Daniel P. Berrangé & Paolo Bonzini)

- Problem with x-exit-preconfig, reworking MachinePhaseInit state
  machine (Paolo Bonzini)

Markus / Daniel / Paolo expressed their ideas on the list (the
historical threads are referenced in the etherpad) so reading the
relevant threads before the call will help to get in the topic.
These people don't have to be in the call, but if they can attend
that would be very nice :)

The call will be Tuesday, December 13 at 3pm CET on this Bluejeans link:
http://bluejeans.com/quintela

You can subscribe to the 'KVM developers conference call' calendar here:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/embed?src=eged7cki05lmu1tngvkl3thids@group.calendar.google.com

Regards,

Phil.