Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Documentating hosting requirements

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Documentating hosting requirements
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 15:53:04 +0100

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 03:35:31PM +0100, Nicodemo Alvaro wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:07:56 +0100
> Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I don't think a hacker can understand your suggestion unless he's
> > already familiar with the issue.
> >
> > Anyway that's just one example taken from the full list.
>
> I don't care how many examples there are. I am trying to fix it and
> seek advice from other people. It's called criticism.
>
> > It's more important that people understand our values than just obey
> > the requirements.
>
> Rewrite the title of the document to be "Values", and then maybe your
> form will follow your function. This is what I see:
>
> Summary -> Summary -> Explanation of Issues.
>                 -> Summary > Explanation of issues.
>
> The issues are explained, but we are avoiding the explanation so that
> we simplify for those dumb people we call "hackers". If you wish to
> continue doing this, go for it. Many of your administrators will
> not be able to do this for very long. Have you not found it difficult
> enough to appeal people who want to help free software? People will see
> right through this and realize it is a waste time and effort.
>
> The GNU Philosophy, our "values", are buried for requirements, which
> turned out not to be requirements.

It's more difficult to understand as the conversation continues.

Look, if you want to do it your way, how about you just implement it,
install it, and deal with the consequences?

Then I'll be in position to propose to fix what disappeared in the
process.

Just validate possible new official requirements with RMS.

--
Sylvain