Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "or any later" clause mandatory?

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "or any later" clause mandatory?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:33:50 +0100

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:18:30 +0100
Sebastian Gerhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
> - If you use a license from the GPL family, it needs to have the "or any
> later"-clause.

The GNU GPL states in version 2, section 9 and in version 3, section 14
that if the version is not specified, then the recipient can use any
version of the GPL. Do we allow this? To make it simpler, we could
state:

"If you specify a version of the license from the GNU GPL family, you
must give permission in the license notice to use later versions of the
license."

--
Nicodemo