Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Documentating hosting requirements

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Documentating hosting requirements
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:07:56 +0100

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:59:52PM +0100, Nicodemo Alvaro wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:21:57 +0100
> Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'm afraid that people will sometimes try to submit the project
> > without doing the licensing clean-up, thinking "Are they _really_
> > gonna ask me to clean this up?  Trying without doesn't hurt".  I know
> > I would :) In this case we type sv-problem-gpl-info and that's it.
>
> That is if you have someone using a GPL license. If they don't you have
> to modify it to fit the description of their license. It would be
> nice to clean up this script as well.

Feel free to improve it.
As for "clean up", as in "rewrite it all", I tend to think it's unnecessary.

> > > What I am hoping for is something that the reviewer can more easily
> > > refer to. In order to fix it in my strategy, that page needs to be
> > > precise, restructured, and simplified. So the document I sent was
> > > intended to help fix it.
> >
> > The main issue I see with this numbered lists of items, is that
> > there's no explanation.  "Don't use open source" -> why?
>
> I'm for rewriting that to say "Do not use conflicting terms with free
> software movement such as 'open source' on Savannah services, since this
> site promotes free software."
>
> Maybe, it should stop at "open source".

The issue is explained correctly at:
http://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

I don't think a hacker can understand your suggestion unless he's
already familiar with the issue.

Anyway that's just one example taken from the full list.

It's more important that people understand our values than just obey
the requirements.

--
Sylvain