Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System

From: Nezumi
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:52:22 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Joseph Toscano wrote:

> Hrm. A cool idea, but I think the interface should stay as it was described
> by someone a few e-mails back (I don't remember who): there should be four
> or five buttons that do things, like confirm an action, cancel an action,
> etc. Everything should be done with prompts on the screen. That way, gamepad
> support will work.

Then what about a combination?  I think I like the idea of limiting
spells, just as you limit weapons, armour and items.  So instead of
hotkeys, you assign a certain number of spells that are accessable by the
controller, instead of the full list.  An example was Star Ocean 2, which
gave special attacks to the fighters.  They had a large number, but could
only assign two, one to R1 and one to L1, for use in any given combat.

> I guess I'm really aiming for this thing to feel like an oldschool SNES
> game. ;P

Nothing wrong with that.  But let's not close the door on being innovative
while we're at it.

--
                      Nezumi * address@hidden
  "It's a long story, except that it's quite short." -- Nicholas Wolfwood