Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System

From: cirrus
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:43:58 +0000

Joseph Toscano wrote:

> My friend Marty and I (who are huge RPG freaks; we both love SoM to death,
> too) have been talking about this. Between the two of us, we came up with
> some specs for our "dream battle system," as cirrus calls it. Here it is:
>
> [*] The controls in the game would be a lot more "nimble" than they are now;
> it's way too tile-based for this battle system. Currently, when you attempt
> to move, you move flush from one square to another square. For this battle
> system to work, you need to be able to walk around freely without tile-based
> restrictions. This isn't to say that the scenery and such can't be
> tile-based, but . . . there needs to be a balance.

Can't reply to everything now coz I got to run off to a lecture!
JT, didn't you read about the summer meeting? Ts, ts, ts...

<snip>

... If you think 0.3 is good just wait 'till 0.4 comes out (preliminary
release date second quarter 3002!). The resolution is set to double to
640x480 so that we can have more detailed characters and maps. The
characters will no longer move square-by-square but rather
pixel-by-pixel. This increased freedom of movement will allow actions
such as running, jumping and sliding! We really scared Alex, who mainly
does the mapengine, with this flood of new ideas/wishes. But the next
morning he would always come to us though and say: "I spoke to Joel
about it last night and thought about it a little. I think it should be
possible." ...

</snip> (http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/news/meeting_2.shtml)

So, yeah, I guess we agree on that point :)

        -James
--
  /    / /__/ /__/ /  / /__                 Reg. Linux User #148821