Re: Magic Foci (was Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System)

From: Nezumi
Subject: Re: Magic Foci (was Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:30:56 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Kai Sterker wrote:

> To cast a spell, a wizard would need some sort of focus for his mind. Be it
> ring, amulet, staff or whatever.

I like this.  For a start, we've already implied a system like this in the
Waste's Edge dialogue, and in fact the whole point of the demo is the
controversy surrounding Silverhair's quest for an uncommon reagent.  So we
get to stay consistent.

This also works with the hotkey idea.  For instance, on a gamepad you
might have the top two buttons (for dwarves these could be special
physical attacks, and for humans they could be physical attacks or combat
items) as places to assign the reagent.  In a menu outside of battle, you
could bind whatever other aspects (the spell, herbs, whatever) to the
reagent.  Then in battle, you need only hit one key to do the magic.

I also wonder if we might work this into the mini-game idea.  Stones or
other items could be wagered for better or more unusual reagents, which
could be used either for magic or human alchemy, or the dwarves could use
such things with some sort of smithing skill to make better weapons or
armour.

Lots of potential there, and it gives loads of stuff for the fanboy
legions to argue over.

> Even further, you could still have 'teachers' that tell you good or less good
> recipes for the foci, you might buy (lesser) foci in stores, etc.

I like this.  It's also something good to hide in treasure chests, secret
areas, etc.  Most of the gamers I know are particularly fond of either
making stuff, checking out secret areas, or both.  And a great deal more
are also interested in either mini-games or ways to master combinations.
So by doing this, and especially if we somehow tie it in to a mini-game,
we have some really great potential.

--
                      Nezumi * address@hidden
  "We laugh together, we have fun together, we have highly proficient sex.