Re: [Adonthell-devel] I'm back !!!

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] I'm back !!!
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:38:39 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:05:36 +0000 cirrus wrote

>> Anyway - feel free to continue this thread and give your opinion,
>> Kenneth and Ingo. I don't think we will definitely drop SDL because of
>> it's wide use, but we might support Clanlib in addition, especially if
>> we get better results with it. I'll have a look at the docs anyway, and
>> probably make a few tests.
>>
>> Sorry to change the topic so quickly - what does the others think about
>> the situation with SDL? Kai, ZT, Cirrus, Ben, Nezu, Jol?
>>

> I'm no expert here, but adding support for other alternatives can't be
> bad. Like you said SDL is quite wide-spread so keeping support for it is
> good. If another supported lib gives me better performance I'd use it
> though. ...speaking of which - why not use OpenGL diirectly? :P

'Cause OpenGL is graphics only. SDL or Clanlib provide more functionality.

As for the Clanlib support. If it can be done, that'll be a pretty good
thing. As Alex said, there wouldn't be much to change, as only a few
classes directly access SDL.

And for the future, it doesn't hurt to have some choice. SDL development
has slowed down very much lately, and who knows how it will be in 3002,
when v0.4 is ready.