Re: [Adonthell-devel] I'm back !!!

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] I'm back !!!
Date: 18 Feb 2002 15:40:40 +0100

> The current display API in ClanLib is one of the oldest part of the whole
> ClanLib API, and it is noticably so (at least compared to the newer parts
> like Network and GUI, which is very nicely designed). The OpenGL support here
> is just a matter of adding a few sourcelines at init-time. The worst part
> is low-level manipulation.

Does it mean that blits for example aren't accelerated? This is all we
would require from an OpenGL backend, actually.

> The problem is with low-level manipulation. In most cases modern
> hardware
> acceleration doesn't go to well along with low-level manipulation.
> What exactly are you're needs for manipulation ?

Very simple things, actually. I'm almost sure ClanDisplay does provides
what we need.

> It means we are deprioritizing "normal 2d" targets like xlib and similar
> for now, and just use OpenGL, but xlib target and similar can easily be added
> later (for those who doesnt have proper OpenGL support, but they would also
> miss out the great features of rotation and stuff).

Well, that can be done in software too. Be carefull not to
deprioritizing too much classic targets - I mean, hardware acceleration
is a very good thing, but it wouldn't come to my mind to make a 2D game
using a library that requires OpenGL.

> So, if you decide to try a ClanLib target (in addition to SDL), I'm
> glad to help (and even code it) (and Im sure I can get other clanlibbers
> on the team).

It's likely to happen in the future. Depends on the time I'll have - and
how other stuff (input system, map engine, editors, ...) are coming. But
I like CLanLib more and more (would it be for the clean design), even
though I haven't even coded for it yet.