Re: [Adonthell-devel] I'm back !!!

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] I'm back !!!
Date: 18 Feb 2002 16:13:13 +0100

> But maybe a general thing that might fit at this point (from what I gather
> from this discussion, and I didn't gather a lot...):
>
> If at this point there is the possibility of regarding far-spread platform
> compatibility (Yes, it's my vision, that in the distant future Adonthell
> might actually run on Mac OS, or even Window~) then certain decisions such as
> at SDL thing should be made in favour of far-spread compatibility. If you ge
> what i mean. I'm just trying to say that we should see to it that Adonthell
> runs on as many OS as possible, and we should consider it as early as
> possible.
>
> It would just suck if we sit there in the end with everything completed, and
> suddenly notice that we can't transfer it to, for ex., Windows, because of a
> simple problem we didn't consider in the early stages...

Fortunately the design of Adonthell makes that we add a layer on top of
the libraries we use, which means we can quite easily add support for
other ones. Even DirectX support could be easily added, provided it
comes to our mind ;)

The problem with windows is that we don't manage to link correctly with
Python. The worst is that it's certainly a minor problem that could be
quickly solved if we had an good window programmer helping. But at least
that's not a problem with Adonthell itself, which is very portable.

You're perfectly right anyway - when 0.4 comes out we should make sure
to provide windows binaries too this time.