Re: [Adonthell-devel] Item spec

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Item spec
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:54:32 +0100

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:22:26 +0300 Sasha Kushnirenko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > You could of course allow that a slot has a list of items. Then you
> > could stack candles in different states and still tell them apart.
> > If that is desired, then it might be the way to go.
>
> It's really a nice idea.  It may perhaps help when you implement
> splitting of stackable itmes: imagine I share my 5
> kill-dragon-in-one-shot arrows between party members.

Yeah, that has to be possible of course. The inventory (or item) needs
to provide at least the basic functionality for this. It's up to the GUI
to make use of it.

> About the slots:  Sometimes games are quite unrealistic there:  I have
> a little ring occupying as much slot space as my
> titan-alloy-nuclear-radiation-resistant full metal plate.  So you
> endup giving all the jewelry to weak mages.  Though sometimes its fun
> to rearrange items between party members.

What we plan for the Adonthell is a 'pooled' inventory. I.e. the GUI
lists the items of all characters at once. So it does not matter who is
carrying what. That way it should never be required to move items
between characters manually.

In our case, the number of slots will probably be the only limiting
factor, therefore it's important that small items become stackable. It
won't be too realistic that way, but in terms of gameplay it should be
pretty good. The inventory should be comfortable rather than annoying.
Realism considerations only play a minor role.