Re: [Adonthell-general] Dialog engine and Fame (Was: Re: New map engine

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Dialog engine and Fame (Was: Re: New map engine implementation started! :))
Date: 08 Feb 2002 15:09:26 +0100

> really no problem. Internationalizing would IMO be best done by using
> gettext and .po file - have to check here how much Python likes gettext.
> This is anyway something we would have done soon or later, I think - and
> not so hard, I believe. Maybe you'll want to throw a look at this
> direction, Kai.

Haha, too easy. Follow the guide! :)

Check that your LC_ALL shell variable is set to your country settings
(for you Kai, it's "de_DE" :p)

$ export LC_ALL=de_DE

Now run Python:

$ python
Python 2.1.1 (#1, Nov 11 2001, 18:19:24)
[GCC 2.95.4 20011006 (Debian prerelease)] on linux2

type 'import gettext' and oooooh. No error message. Isn't this cute! ;)
In /usr/lib/python<version> you can find a gettext.py file, which is
worth reading.

now type 'cat = gettext.Catalog("gimp")' (you can replace gimp with
whatever translated app you like, especially if you don't have it - but
who doesn't have Gimp?)

and 'print cat.gettext("Preferences")' (an English string used in Gimp)

>>> print cat.gettext ("Preferences")
Einstellungen

Ach! Das ist güt, mein Herr! ;)

Now I remember why I love Free Software. Adonthell soon looking for
translators?

Alex.

--
http://www.gnurou.org