Re: [Adonthell-general] Dialog engine and Fame (Was: Re: New map engine

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Dialog engine and Fame (Was: Re: New map engine implementation started! :))
Date: 08 Feb 2002 15:18:42 +0100

> What exactly needs to be internationalized? The program (dlgedit) itself?
> Or the output. I imagine latter is what he would want :). Possibly in a
> fashion that makes multiple language versions available at the same time,
> and choses the right one according to the users preferences, right?

The output, the output :) I don't know much more about the details, but
either way it's possible.

> Basically, such a feature would be useful for us as well, if we want to
> have international versions of Adonthell.

Exactly. And what would it require? dlgedit should generate calls to
cat.gettext (string) instead of returning the raw strings, and whenever
we want to dislay a string, we would do that too. Globally, NO CHANGE AT
ALL in the engine! (as all the remaining texts (menus, intro, extro...)
are coded in the Python side). It's so easy I'm searching for flaws. It
can't be THAT easy!

> Well, if you want that shot removed, you'll have to write a good map editor
> for v0.4. Consider it a measure to get your motivation up ;).

Would you have done that shot with Emacs (btw, Emacs 21 is really TOO
good!), I'd have forgiven you. But vi. Never!

Alex.

--
http://www.gnurou.org