autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Hi

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Hi
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:15:53 +0200

Hi Francesco,

 > The generate and distcheck targets seem to work fine with the latest
 > master (dd1d2ea275497e47d1cf4b2d1295cb789c360a7e) in a fresh clone. I
 > noticed some strange behavior (into an unclean clone) but It's too
 > late now.

thanks for trying! I, too, have the impression that the make dependencies are
somewhat incomplete, but it's very hard to tell with all that magic Automake
and gnulib interaction. These packages are great, but they really introduce a
hell of a lot of complexity.

 > Adding build-aux files to the repository could remove the gnulib dependency
 > (by simply adding a gnulib-tool check on bootstrap).

Personally, I don't mind depending on gnulib.

 > * I've a git->AUTHORS generator script that could come handy for the AUTHORS
 > file ... I'll give some lifting to it if you like the idea (do we have
 > particular requirements?).

Yes, that would be great! The AUTHORS files should contain the names of all
people who have committed to the Git repository or who are listed in a macro's
copyright line. It's not particularly hard to extract that information, but it
still has to be done. As of now, the AUTHORS just says "TODO". :-)

Take care,
Peter