autoconf-maintainers

Re: Bootstrapping from cvs

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping from cvs
Date: 16 Sep 2002 10:21:34 -0600

Akim> I have no problems :( I'm ready to make it easier, but I don't
Akim> know what problem you have :(

Try a plain `cvs co' from scratch then configure and build.  I get
this:

fleche. make
cd ../autoconf && /bin/sh
/home/tromey/gnu/Auto/autoconf/autoconf/config/missing --run aclocal-1.6c -I
config
/home/tromey/gnu/Auto/autoconf/autoconf/config/missing: aclocal-1.6c: command
not found
WARNING: `aclocal-1.6c' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified `acinclude.m4' or `configure.ac'.  You might want
         to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.  Grab them from
         any GNU archive site.
cd ../autoconf && \
  /bin/sh /home/tromey/gnu/Auto/autoconf/autoconf/config/missing --run
automake-1.6c --gnu  Makefile
/home/tromey/gnu/Auto/autoconf/autoconf/config/missing: automake-1.6c: command
not found
WARNING: `automake-1.6c' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified `Makefile.am', `acinclude.m4' or `configure.ac'.
         You might want to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.
         Grab them from any GNU archive site.
cd ../autoconf && /bin/sh
/home/tromey/gnu/Auto/autoconf/autoconf/config/missing --run autoconf
autoconf: configure.in: No such file or directory
make: *** [../autoconf/configure] Error 1

Akim> I suggest installing 2.54 from its tarball.

Hmm.  This seems unnecessarily painful, given that all the files
needed to build are already in cvs.  If you don't mind requiring this,
why not `cvs rm configure'?

Akim> What we need is to find a means to fix the behavior of CVS wrt
Akim> timestamps.

We've known about this problem since at least 1996.  It seems unlikely
that it will be fixed now.

Tom