autoconf-maintainers

Re: Bootstrapping from cvs

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping from cvs
Date: 16 Sep 2002 12:27:03 -0600

Paul> What I usually do is check out a fresh copy of the Autoconf
Paul> sources from CVS.  That way, they'll have the proper time
Paul> stamps.

This didn't work for me yesterday.  Or this morning.
Could you try it?  I'm curious to know why it works for you and not
me.

Paul> But I would rather solve the underlying problems than mask them.

As I see it one of the underlying problems is using timestamps to
determine whether or not something needs to be rebuilt.  This isn't
something we can fix in the context of make.

Changing cvs is an attractive idea.  But nobody has done it in the
last 6 years (maybe this problem was known before 1996; I found out
about it then since that is when I added --cygnus to automake).  And
as far as I know nobody is planning to work on it.

(I wonder what subversion does here.  There will be a nice irony if
cvs gets fixed right as we all switch to a new system with the same
problem :-)

Tom