autoconf-maintainers

Re: Bootstrapping from cvs

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping from cvs
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:15:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hello!

I usually take this approach.  I have CVS Utilities installed:
http://www.red-bean.com/cvsutils/

I try building everything from CVS.  Then regardless of the result I run
"cvsu".  If I see modified entries marked by "M", I run "cvsdiscard",
which removes modified files and refetches them from CVS.  If "cvsu" shows
missing ("U") entries, I run "cvs update".

Then I rerun the build process and repeat the same procedure until there
are no missing or modified files.

More radical and effective approach is to run "autoreconf --force" and
then "cvsdiscard".  It still doesn't guarantee that there will be no
further iterations, but it usually takes at most one iteration, and
usually none.

Still, I would prefer not to have any generated files on CVS, and instead
have a bootstrap script.  In the case of Autoconf and Automake, this can
be tricky because of their interdepencency.  As the first step, it would
be great if Autoconf didn't have Autoconf-generated files in CVS, and
Automake didn't have Automake-generated files in CVS.

This way, all releases made from CVS will guaranteed to use themselves,
i.e. Autoconf 2.55 will use configure generated by Autoconf 2.55.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin