autoconf-maintainers

Re: Bootstrapping from cvs

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping from cvs
Date: 16 Sep 2002 11:44:42 -0600

Jim> The CVS folks found a way around this.
Jim> Their current repository has a file called noautomake.sh in it,
Jim> and the INSTALL file says this:

gcc does this too.
The gcc_update script does a cvs update and then touches files.

Jim> IMHO, this script (or something like it) belongs in autoconf
Jim> and/or automake.

It could be named "autoreconf --touch".

Jim> Sure, it's hard to do these things right, but we (of all people!)
Jim> should do our best to set a good example.

I don't think there is a right or wrong here.
I've worked on projects with maintainer-mode and those without.
Generally speaking I haven't found any significant problems in either
situation.  With the sole exception of autoconf.

Tom