Re: cache directory is not removed

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: cache directory is not removed
Date: 06 Jun 2002 11:45:27 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: cache directory is not removed"
> * Sent on 06 Jun 2002 14:58:47 +0200

> Steven> Bill Wendling wrote:
> >> I concur. It is an annoyance. Having a flag (--remove-cache) as
> >> mentioned above would be very nice. Having the cache directory is
> >> fine, but keeping them there is a pain...
>
> I don't think you realize the impact of using the cache here.  On the
> file utils, on my machine, it means that running automake, autoconf
> and autoheader is about 1min long.  Remove the cache, it's three
> minutes.  Touch all the Makefile.am, i.e., run automake for each
> Makefile.am, and you get 1 minute per Makefile.

I don't think that in my case this cache is ever used at all.
autoconf is run just once in a directory (and I do not use autoheader
and automake).

> So, although I find it stupid, I'm ok to provide some --remove-cache.
> But I'm definitely against making this the default.  I'm ok to rename
> it as .autom4te.cache too, if you find it so ugly.

please do so!

> Steven> I would go further and suggest that perhaps this should be the
> Steven> default behavior...probably the vast majority of autoconf
> Steven> users are more annoyed by the generated files lying around
> Steven> than they are by an extra three seconds on the rare occasions
> Steven> they run autoconf.
>
> They don't have understood the point.  And then, why keep the .o too?
> And the .deps?

excellent point.  the CLISP build process usually happens in a separate
directory, i.e., no directory under the CVS gets infected with any
non-CVS files (like *.o).  similarly, I do not want it to be infected
with the autoconf cache.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>