Re: cache directory is not removed

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: cache directory is not removed
Date: 07 Jun 2002 08:09:14 +0200

>> They don't have understood the point.  And then, why keep the .o
>> too?  And the .deps?

Steven> Again, it's a matter of tradeoffs and optimizing for the
Steven> common case. On the one hand, programs spewing files as a
Steven> side-effect that the user didn't explicitly request is
Steven> generally undesirable.  On the other hand, developers change
Steven> source code files and recompile *very* often, so the extra
Steven> speed (which can be orders of magnitude for .o!) is worth the
Steven> filesystem litter.

By we just do agree here!  autom4te.cache appears when autoconf,
autoheader or automake is run.  We are not talking about end-users here.