Re: cache directory is not removed

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: cache directory is not removed
Date: 07 Jun 2002 10:10:36 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: cache directory is not removed"
> * Sent on 07 Jun 2002 07:58:24 +0200

> >> So, although I find it stupid, I'm ok to provide some
> >> --remove-cache.  But I'm definitely against making this the
> >> default.  I'm ok to rename it as .autom4te.cache too, if you find
> >> it so ugly.
>
> Sam> please do so!
>
> Actually, I remove my proposal.  --remove-cache makes no sense.  I'll
> rename that file if you are really more annoyed with a autom4te.cache
> file, than with mkinstalldirs, install-sh, COPYING, README, missing,
> not to mention again the object files.

mkinstalldirs, install-sh, COPYING &c are not created by autoconf.
the cache directory is very annoying.
please give us an option of getting rid of it.

> >> They don't have understood the point.  And then, why keep the .o
> >> too?  And the .deps?
>
> Sam> excellent point.  the CLISP build process usually happens in a
> Sam> separate directory, i.e., no directory under the CVS gets
> Sam> infected with any non-CVS files (like *.o).  similarly, I do not
> Sam> want it to be infected with the autoconf cache.
>
> So if I understand correctly, configure is in the build tree right?

nope.  when I distribute CLISP, I cannot assume that my users have
autoconf, so I distribute the generated configure scripts too.
i.e., the configure scripts are in the source tree and are regenerated
just before a release.  thus, if I use autoconf 2.53, I have to remove
the cache directories by hand before a release, so that they do not end
up in the distribution file.

this is a major inconvenience.

adding a --remove-cache option (or --no-cache - for not creating the
cache in the first place) is not too much work, and I can submit the
patch if you wish.

please note, that I am not your only user who is unhappy with the cache
directory.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>