Re: [avr-chat] Kdevelop for avr-gcc?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Kdevelop for avr-gcc?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:11:55 +0100 (MET)

Kishore <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well this seems like a good option but also the question "Why use
> Kdevelop?". Can Kdevelop or any other IDE for that matter give any
> value add?

Being an Emacs user, I can't say much about Kdevelop.  In general, I'd
expect the following added value from such a tool (and do get it that
way from Emacs):

.. syntax support for editing source files (syntax highlighting,
  automatic indendation or indentation aids, tracking of parens/brace
  groups)

.. support in tracking error messages to the respective spot in the
  source file

.. support for talking to a debugger (GDB in that case), including
  tracking the spot in each source file where program execution stops

As the latter also requires running an external program (either
simulavr for a simulation, or avarice to connect to the JTAG ICE), I
never tried to automate that but rather run the respective job
directly from a command-line.

For me, the advantage of using Emacs is that it's a powerful editor I
can use for everything, so no need to learn something anew for each
new job.  Once you've mastered regular expression, you certainly don't
want to use an editor again that misses this feature.  It makes even
seemingly more complex jobs (like replacing sbi() and cbi() macros in
all your source files :-)) a matter of a few minutes only.

I'd assume Kdevelop to have similar features for all of this, maybe it
requires more mouse movements and less keyboard activity, but that's
obviously a matter of personal taste.