Re: [avr-chat] Kdevelop for avr-gcc?

From: Trevor White
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Kdevelop for avr-gcc?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:06:03 +0000

I am still new to Kdevelop. I wanted to get stuck into coding and have got myself set up with a Linux development enviroment. I was using WINAVR before and it is fantastic. The only thing that lets it down is that it is running on Windows, 8¬p.

I was wondering if to use an IDE or not. I did think about emacs. I looked into Kdevelop and it just fell into place. There is a documentation tab a click away. If there is something about C or Kdevelop or anything else, the whole docs system is there. You can search man pages, etc. The documentation tab is a great tool. The search facility is so useful.

It interfaces with CVS which is great. I am still feeling my way round CVS but from Kdevelop I can read the info pages on it. I still keep a terminal window open for doing some CVS stuff but whilst coding I find it nice to just backup a version of code before I try something silly with it.

I had to do some work the other day with a php script just to format a file. I was basically converting a font set from one format into a single array ready to place into prog space. Anyway, I wrote the script in PHP along side my normal C coding. I opened up a terminal window to execute the script and loaded the resultant output file in Kdevelop to check, etc. It just becomes really nice to start using for lots of things. When I think about doing any coding first thing I do is open Kdevelop.

I have not learned anywhere near all the great stuff it can do but even at this early stage I am feeling really comfortable using it. I feel happy that is should cope with me as I grow.

Hope this helps.