Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 20:33:44 +0100 (MET)

Vincent Trouilliez <address@hidden> wrote:

> So no matter how slow the link, it will
> still be pretty much real-time since pressing on a button on my
> keyboard to step the program, or pressing the enter key to read/write a
> variable, will take much more time than JTAG needs to perform the
> operation...

Well, the debugging models of AVR Studio (which the JTAG ICE and
Dragon are tuned for) and GDB are vastly different, and AVaRICE isn't
really the best optimized tool ever, so it ends up causing heavy JTAG
traffic if you're doing something unlucky (which already a single step
at the C level can account for).  It's usually not much of a problem
though if you ensure to keep the AVR going for a longer period of
time.  I tend to set many temporary breakpoints, rather than
single-stepping.