Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...

From: Robert L Cochran
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 21:40:36 -0500

David Kelly wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>
>>> They often have a 10-pin header on the motherboard for connecting an
>>> rs-232
>>> connector and parallel port.
>>
>> I do have an internal header for a second serial port, that was one
>> of the reasons I bought this particular board. But I had of course to
>> add a bracket to gete a proper connector, and it so happens that the
>> computer case I bought has a crap "tool-free" system to secure
>> bracket/add-on cards, which means that as soon as I exerce any kind of
>> force on the DB9 socket to try to plug a serial cable.. the bracket
>> gets free and disappears in the computer case...
> sn
>
> You can't be a Real Embedded Engineer until you have carved a D
> connector opening in a chassis by hand. Use file, drill, Dremel
> mototool, even X-Acto knife (works fairly well on aluminum), or any
> combination thereof.
>
> :-)
Be sure to wear goggles or something to protect your eyes. A whole face
shield might be infinitely better. Also gloves of some sort on your
hands. Even with hand snips, if a little bit of shrapnel flies into your
eyeball that may permanently end your embedded engineering feats. The
same applies to hands or fingers sliced by metal.

With that said, cut a sufficient circle in the computer case and debur
it with a file or rasp so it doesn't slice your hand. Then hot glue the
D-sub bracket to it. If the glue has poor adhesion to the metal of the
case, solder the bracket on. Presto! It's quick and it works.

Bob