Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 20:21:49 -0600

On Mar 2, 2009, at 6:30 PM, Russell Shaw wrote:

They often have a 10-pin header on the motherboard for connecting an
rs-232 connector and parallel port.
How does a 10-pin motherboard header translate to a 25 pin parallel port?
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Parallel_PC_Port.html

Because it's morning, i didn't word it right to say that it's only the
rs-232 that's 10 pins. The parallel one has more. I added a DB-9 rs-232
and an lpt port to my pc using a cable and back-connectors from an old
junk pc. Motherboard is a P5E-V HDMI.

One caution: there are two different pinouts used for 10 pin asynchronous serial ports on PC motherboards and serial cards. Only one uses an easy ribbon cable connection from DB9 to 10-pin header. IIRC the other literally used pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 ... and had to have each line hand connected to the DB9 or DB25.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden