Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 14:23:27 -0500

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
[The ICE-cube is] meant precisely to be ... handled
by... well by hand constantly, I fear the fragile/exposed SMT
components on the tiny boards, will sooner or later get hit/damaged.
Also, I fear ESD shocks because with my big fat fingers will get all
over the components, which can't be good.

I think if this was a problem it would have surfaced (a pun?) by now. The only component that is likely to take a hit (the inductor that filters the power supply) is, in fact, secured with epoxy. The underside has an insulating coating to avoid shorts with the target. All around the edge, where you grip it, is ground plane. To my knowledge, nobody has ever zapped an ICE-Cube.

But, I'm not trying to persuade you, just inform you. You absolutely must go with what looks best to you.

- it's got a serial interface ...

Absolutely right here. I would urge anyone working with embedded systems not to buy a PC without a serial port. And, don't tell me this is hard to do. Just don't get your PC at Wal-Mart.

Graham.