Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVaRICE and gdb windows port

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVaRICE and gdb windows port
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:00:27 +0100 (MET)

Brian Dean <address@hidden> wrote:

>> IIRC the AVR ISP programmer uses the same protocol as the STK500
>> so, in theory, yes. I don't know if this has been tested yet.

> I don't think the STK500 and AVR ISP protocols are the same, but I
> could be wrong.  I seem to remember glancing at the AVR910 protocol
> (I'm assuming the AVR ISP uses the AVR910 protocol) and it was
> different than that for the STK500 protocol.

Someone replied to me privately that the AVR ISP programmer in
question (a separate gadget marketed by Atmel) indeed uses the STK500
protocol, so it ought to work.

> However, it should not be hard to add it, as all the hooks are
> there.  At the moment, I don't have an AVR ISP programmer to test
> with, otherwise I would add the support.

I agree that AVR910 should be made available in avrdude as well.  I've
got an old AT90S1200 gambling in a drawer that serves no useful
purpose.  I might try turning that into an AVR910 programmer for
testing.  That way, the entire toolchain should IMHO even work on
Solaris as a host platform.  (I've already tried binutils/gcc/libc
once on Solaris, and they worked flawlessly.)