bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] VLC problems on w32

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] VLC problems on w32
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 04:57:10 +0100

Dieter Deyke <address@hidden> writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Dieter Deyke <address@hidden> writes:

>>> process-send-string is a built-in function in `C source code'.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Oh, right.  I forgot that GNU Emacs 21 does not display the
>> names of the files in which built-in functions are defined.
>>
>> Maybe I should try to find a W32 machine myself.
>
> I am running:
>
> This is GNU Emacs 22.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>  of 2007-02-02 on DEYKE1
>
> checked out from CVS 2 days ago, and compiled myself.
> But I did turn off debugging, may be this causes
> that problem.

Hmm... okay.  Yes, maybe.  I don't know.

That was stupid of me anyway, because it's quite obvious
from the source code that `process-send-string' is only
defined in one place.  (Maybe that's even true for built-in
functions in general.)

To me, this seems like a bug in Emacs, because I don't think
it should be possible to trick it into giving an invalid
argument to some file operation.

This is what the relevant code looks like:

   rv = emacs_write (outfd, (char *) buf, this);
   [...]
   if (rv < 0)
   [...]
     report_file_error ("writing to process", Fcons (proc, Qnil));

So apparently one of `outfd', `buf' and `this' is invalid in
that call to `emacs_write'.

You get that error every time you try to pause, right?

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>