bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] VLC problems on w32

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] VLC problems on w32
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:02:33 +0100

Dieter Deyke <address@hidden> writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What if you try this patch?

[...]

>> -  (process-send-string (bongo-player-process player) "pause\n"))
>> +  (process-send-string (bongo-player-process player) "pause\r\n"))

[...]

>> -           (process-send-string process "get_time\n")
>> +           (process-send-string process "get_time\r\n")

[...]

>> -             (process-send-string process "get_length\n")
>> +             (process-send-string process "get_length\r\n")

[...]

>> -                                     "main playlist: nothing to play"
>> -                                     line-end))))
>> -              (process-send-string process "quit\n"))
>> +                                     "main playlist: nothing to play"))))
>> +              (process-send-string process "quit\r\n"))

[...]

> I am sorry to report that that patch did not change the
> behavior.  I would have been surprised if it did, because
> mplayer did not seem to need \r\n t work.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if VLC required \r\n on Windows
even though MPlayer apparently expects \n on all platforms.

> May be that vlc on windows does not report back on stdout,
> but somewhere else, like in that now hidden Console window?
> I am just guessing here.

We have already established that it does print to stdout.
However, maybe it doesn't read from stdin...  That explains
everything, I think.

Good thought.  Now that you've suggested it, it seems quite
probable that this is in fact the problem.

So maybe we'll have to use the socket interface on Windows.

   vlc -I rc --rc-host localhost

Unfortunately, if you run VLC like that, it does not print
the port that it binds to.  So we'll have to specify the
port explicitly, which is pretty damn lame.  So maybe we
should try one port, and if that fails, try the next, etc.

What's more, all this could be a little slow, because we'll
have to start VLC, wait for a sign that it has started to
listen to the port, and then open a TCP connection.
Hopefully this won't be unacceptably slow, because if it is,
we might have to keep a single VLC process running, and that
will require non-trivial changes to Bongo (on the other hand,
that capability might be nice to have anyway).

I'm surprised this stuff is so hard.  It's almost like
nobody has ever tried to use the remote control interface.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>